Table of Contents
Experienced Chief Technology Officer with 24 years of experience in developing, managing, and overseeing all technical aspects of organizations. Proven track record of creating and driving innovative technical vision, developing world-class technology solutions, and maximizing organizational efficiency.
Open Source/Free Software And Related Operating Systems, Unix/FreeBSD/Linux, Bash/fish Shell Scripting, Ruby, Julia Lang, SQL, Crystal Lang, MongoDB, Systems Architecture, Systems Development, Systems Integration, Systems Scaling, Cybersecurity, Secure Development, SaaS/PaaS, Forensic Analysis, Network Analysis
Executive Engineering Management, Board Of Directors, Engineering Management, Technical Management, Team Building, Mentor, Consensus-driven Management, Research Management, Product/project Champion, Public Speaking, Press/media Interactions
- Improve engineering team velocity by 20% by reducing testing and deployment time.
- Mentor System Architects and Senior C Developers to improve their ability to manage a 30-year old code base with 750,000+ lines of code and 50,000+ functions by providing technical direction, mentoring, and facilitating team communication.
- Architect and develop large scale systems with over 50,000 processing cores, 100s of petabytes of clustered storage, and terabit fiber interconnects.
- Create a comprehensive technology strategy that aligns with the business objectives and prioritizes the execution of that strategy in order to reduce redundant expenditures, resulting in a 25% savings in pre-deployment costs.
- Ensure 99.9997% annual availability and acceptable sub-millisecond performance levels by designing, developing and implementing cost effective, highly scalable and reliable systems, processes and applications.
- Develop software systems with C, Julia, SQL and functional programming languages from the ground up to automate operations.
- Technology prototyping and consulting.
- Vastly expanded DarkOwl's darknet collection efforts into three new darknets with hundreds of millions of new content items added to the search index.
- Grew sales 130% year over year by launching new product lines, expanding existing services, achieving AICPA SOC 2, PCI-DSS 3, and other relevant industry compliance.
- Revamped marketing and messaging to generate 125% more leads.
- As field CTO, lead the development of a Darknet product to mitigate against threats posed by the Darknet.
- Member Board of Directors, a position that requires strong leadership, commitment, and involvement.
- Raised $8 million for the company in investment, resulting in profitability and financial growth for the company.
- Set 10 strategic goals for the company and ensure that the management delivers on them by measuring key performance indicators.
Chief Revenue Officer
Farsight Security, Inc.
Apr 2016 - Apr 2017
- Grew revenue 187% in 9 months through collaborative selling, revamping product mix, and targeted campaigns.
- Developed 3 new products by partnering with sales and engineering teams, generating new revenue.
- Rebooted Marketing and PR to 500% increase in leads generated. Simplified corporate look and feel and messaging which resulted in bi-weekly press articles and clearer vision for customer interactions, generating more leads and sales.
Senior Vice President of Engineering
Norse Corporation (Federal)
Jul 2015 - Feb 2016
- Developed and deployed an on-premises appliance into a Top Secret government facility, enabling the organization to meet national security requirements by collaborating with other teams and adhering to stringent security protocols.
- Cut the defect rate of the software as a service by 54% in under 7 months, by reorganizing the team, tuning the feature development workflow, and improving the quality assurance process.
- Increased sales 350% through product refinement and customer feedback loops to prioritize development using quantitative and qualitative data.
Co-Founder & CEO
The Tor Project
Jan 2009 - May 2015
- Co-Founded the Tor Project, a $10M/yr privacy and security organization, by expanding an open source project into a globally recognized research organization, completing research contracts with US Dept of State, Swedish International Development Agency, US National Science Foundation, US Office of Naval Research, US Army, US DARPA, SRI International, and other US Dept of Defense agencies.
- Grew Tor's daily users from hundreds to millions and public Tor network from ten servers to 7,000 by developing a network of volunteers to run Tor relays, creating a digital software distribution platform, and creating a digital donation campaign.
- Represented the Tor Project by conducting over 1,000 interviews across websites, blogs, weekly and daily news sites, radio, and TV interviews, and trained others to follow my lead.
- Participated in hundreds of panels and conferences, presenting Tor to global governments and other organizations as invited keynote speaker.
Vice President of Engineering
1999 - 2009
- Lead a team of 110+ engineers to develop an infrastructure that can sustain a new business launch every month with a 99.9% SLA.
- Successfully acquired 10 companies with $35M in revenue to further our revenue growth.
- Implemented and passed CoBIT and SOX compliance for a wildly successful IPO in 2007 by preparing the IT department for a financial audit by hiring a team of consultants, creating a governance team, and implementing processes for financial controls.
- Completed a successful initial public offering in 2007, which resulted in a $1 billion valuation for the company with 400 employees.
Framingham State University
Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.), Animal Behavior and Ethology
1989 - 1994
- Researched and published on the brooding behavior of the Common Loon at Quabbin Reservoir in Massachusetts.
- Internship at Mass Fish and Wildlife to help bring the Bald Eagle back to Massachusetts.
- Teaching Assistant for Biology II, Comparative Vertebrate Zoology, Ornithology, and Microbiology II courses.
- Part-time job at Wildlife Recovery Center at Wild as the Wind Farm, Upton, MA
- Founding member of Framingham State Computer Club
via Semantic Scholar or Google Scholar
- Owenson, G., Cortes, S., & Lewman, A. (2018). The darknet's smaller than we thought: The life cycle of Tor Hidden Services. Digit. Investig., 27, 17-22.
- Owenson, G., Cortes, S., & Lewman, A. (2018). A freedom hosting darknet case study: anatomy of a takedown.
- Lewman, A. (2013). Tor: Uses and Limitations of Online Anonymity. Fordham University Press.
- Hsu, D., & Marinucci, D. (Eds.). (2013). Advances in Cyber Security: Technology, Operations, and Experiences. NEW YORK: Fordham University Press. doi:10.2307/j.ctt13x07xx
Honors & Awards
Top Leader by Boston Magazine - Boston Magazine
Boston Magazine "Power of Ideas" issue:
Best App at World Bank Latin America DV Hackathon - World Bank
Winning Application Prototype at World Bank Latin America, Washington DC for a mobile app to help domestic violence advocates understand cyberstalking and technology abuse for victims.
Formula Car Racer
North Atlantic Road Racing Championship
Sports Car Club of America (SCCA)
2001 - 2003
2003 Season, finished 7th out of 280 positions in Formula V.
Board Member and Clerk
January 2023 - Current
Specialist, Crimes Against Children
Nov 2015 - Dec 2020
- Volunteered as domain expert in darknet and Internet technologies around trafficking of children and child sexual abuse.
- Helped build a next generation case management system to accommodate hundreds of terabytes of data sets from national police agencies.
- Attended annual meetings in Lyon, France and Singapore to help solve tough cases, identify children, and assist with forensic evidence.
- Travelled to Singapore as needed to provide expert assessment in challenging, multi-jurisdictional, highly technical cases.
Chairman of the Board and Treasurer
Jan 2014 - Present
- Volunteer mentor to hundreds of teenagers teaching them how and why to code.
- Evaluated hundreds of iOS and Android apps to help the students and interns better hone their skills.
- Judged hackathons where students spend 2 days developing apps from brainstorm to published in the app store.
- Help raise $100k in funding through contracts, donations, and partnerships.
Board Member and Treasurer
May 2015 - Present
- Assist with 6 years of clean, successful audits and general fiduciary responsibility for the organization.
- Provide strategic guidance for grant writing and fundraising campaigns, resulting in 20 new large donors.
- Developed and implemented strategies to reduce cash flow and financing challenges while ensuring sufficient resources to meet operational objectives and cash requirements.
First Vice President, Silicon Valley Chapter
Sep 2017 - Oct 2021
- Helped organize monthly meetings for the hundreds of members in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Provide strategic direction and guidance on member retention and acquisition. Reduced member churn by 25%.
- Collaborated with local, state, and federal law enforcement on high tech investigations.
Jan 2012 - Present
Winning Application Prototype at World Bank Latin America, Washington DC 2013
Collaborate with Emerge, Transition House, and legal aid/DV organizations and leading technologists on the intersection of domestic violence and technology.
Learn more at https://ipvtech.is
Board Member and President
NCAHS Parents Network
2015 - 2017
All Parents are members of the the Norfolk Aggie Parent Network (NAPN). Our mission is to:
- Connect and Communicate with other parents via monthly meetings, email, web and Facebook regarding NAPN and school activities
- Collaborate with and support faculty, staff and school administration to promote school community
- Fundraise to enrich the learning experience for our children.
Learn more at https://www.norfolkaggieparentnetwork.org/
Board Member, Secretary, and Treasurer
The Tor Project
Dec 2006 - May 2015
- Managed 7 successful years of audits and reviews with audit partners.
- Provided strategic guidance on finances, growing them to millions per year.
- Managed international challenges and hostile government interventions.
- Recorded 7 years of quarterly board meetings, public notes, and transparent financial statements.
Board Member and Treasurer
Privacy Enhancing Technology Symposium (PETS)
May 2009 - May 2015
Top-Tier academic conference and publication on privacy technology. Learn more at http://petsymposium.org
Board Member and Chief of Event Operations
COM Sports Car Club
2004 - 2005
COM Sports Car Club (COMSCC) is one of the oldest active sports car clubs in the country. The club has a long-standing reputation for excellence in high-speed driving instruction and competitive time trials on sports car tracks around the Northeast U.S. and Canada.
Learn more at http://www.comscc.org